Thursday, July 08, 2010

Ed in Carlsbad & Tustin Fresh Fruit!


Good afternoon, Growers!

After being laid low by an unknown bug for a few days over the 4th of July holiday, I am back, happy to report on Ed in Carlsbad's/Tustin's recent developments...

"Hi Stuart,

I'm having a little friendly competition...with myself. As you know from previous postings, I am growing a seed from a 942 Breznick in Carlsbad. The plant was off to a very vigorous start but because of the cool coastal weather, things have slowed down quite a bit and although I have 4 pumpkins on the plant, I am not particularly pleased with their progress. The 580 Bhaskaran plant, which I am growing in the backyard of a house I own in Tustin, is quite a different story. Although that plant was off to somewhat of a slow start, it has now taken off and both the vine and pumpkin growing on it are doing extremely well. I already have a sizable fruit which became pollinated very early in June, with a couple of other contenders just starting out. From what I understand, back in the late 1800's the Tustin soil and climate was very amicable to growing pumpkins and so far this year, it appears that is still the case. Carlsbad vs. Tustin - at this point my bet is on Tustin for the "winning" pumpkin. I will keep you posted...Ed"