Saturday, July 10, 2010

Ed in Tustin: Growing Like a Giant Pumpkin Should!

Good afternoon, Pumpkinistas!

Attention has shifted for Ed from Carlsbad to his effort in Tustin, and rightfully so...

"Good afternoon Stuart,

Another update for you: The Tustin Bhaskaran pumpkin is growing like crazy. When I sent the last picture in on the 4th, it was the size of a softball. Hard to believe but it is now the size of a basketball. I sent a few pics to David Bhaskaran for his thoughts. He told me that it had the potential to reach 1,000+ lbs. I'm not going to get too excited yet because the season is still young but...I do go out multiple times a day to "watch it grow"!!! I am fertilizing it once a week and on warmer days, watering it twice/day.

The Carlsbad Breznick unfortunately is hurting. Have a fruit the size of a basketball but unfortunately some animal (I think a bird) disfigured it in multiple places. Did not break all the way through the skin and so it is still growing but does not "look nice". Also, because of all the cool weather/coastal fog, the plant itself is getting mildew and some of the leaves are already turning yellow. Will be picking up some GreenCure from OC Farm Supply and keeping my fingers crossed for some sun at the coast soon...

 
Tustin is now considerably far ahead in the race...
 
Ed from Tustin :)"