Monday, June 26, 2006






Growing Giant Pumpkins in Containers:A Report from Bill in Solana Beach

Good morning, Growers!

Bill D. in Solana Beach was very kind to send me the following message and images of the giant pumpkin he's growing at work!

Hi Stuart,

Remember me with the 35 year old Dill pumpkin seeds? (San Diego, Solano Beach workshop)
I didn't have the space in my yard for planting a giant pumpkin, so at work, I made a mix of 2 bags of steer manure and the balance with potting soil. Drilled some holes in the bottom of the plastic 55 gal drum, installed a ¼ inch water drip, and planted 3 seeds. VOILA! They popped right up. I gave 2 away to friends, and kept this one. It's one month old.
Plans are (if I'm lucky) to grow a good sized pumpkin on the table with wheels next to the drum. For the Halloween season, roll it to the lunch room for the girls to carve a jack-o-lantern.
Wish me luck!
Bill

Truly, necessity is the mother of invention. Thank you very much for sending in your pictures, Bill!

Sincerely,

Stuart