Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Another Giant Pumpkin Exhibition Site in Hawaii!

Good morning, Pumpkinistas!

Is it just me, or are your seedlings doubling in size every 36-48 hours because of the great weather we've been having? In fact, I've lengthened the watering time in Huntington Beach from 15 minutes a day to 30 minutes a day, starting at 5:00 a.m., in order to address some of the early to late afternoon heat stress I've noticed with my plant.

My father, Casey, is growing a giant pumpkin seedling/vine in Kula on the island of Maui. The giant pumpkin cultivation is just part of a 6-acre farm that also grows coffee, proteas, and even some koa trees. During the coffee season, he also runs farm tours for local and tourist groups.

Here's the web address for Shim Farm Tours:

http://www.shimfarmtour.com/

I don't know if the giant pumpkin seedling and soon to be vine will be featured on the farm tour so you may have to ask about it! Then, perhaps it will.

Please stop by if you're going to Maui this summer or early fall!

Aloha,
Stuart