Saturday, April 07, 2007




The Secret Weapon: The Mound is Ready!
Good afternoon, Growers!
I am very happy to report that I made good use of today's cool weather to dig the hole and prepare my mound for the 2007 season! It was a lot easier this year to get deep because of my secret weapon, a special 7' tall trenching shovel I picked up at a gardening show. The weight of the shovel did most of the digging! E-mail me if you'd like more details about it.
The typical clay soil of Huntington Beach in early April is still moist enough to carve out a reasonable hole. I got down to 4' 9" deep, 2' diameter, digging up some clover in the process. Then, I mixed some Bumper Crop, Black Forest soil amendments, and manure with the dirt from the hole, and put it back into the hole. The finished mound is about 2 1/2' tall, and 5' in diameter.
I hope that we get some rain to settle the mound some before mid-May!
Anybody else digging their holes or making any planting preparations?
Have a great week-end!
Stuart