Sunday, June 03, 2007

An Update from Mark Imhoof!

Good evening, Growers!

I received this great picture and update from Pumpkinmania's own Senior Technical Advisor and perennial Orange County Fair winning giant pumpkin grower, Mark Imhoof:

Hi Stuart,

It sounds like your seminars are going well. I remember going to one a few years ago, and look to what it has led to.This year's 'crop' will be a bit different than in previous years. I planted in April rather than in February (for the fair), so I'll have more days of sunshine during the growing season. I had ten seedlings that have now been thinned to 6. There are two grouping of three in the same oval shaped mound, with the plants about 5 foot long. The goal here is to have two plants on opposite ends of the mound. I also planted along the middle of my back fence rather than in the corner of the yard, meaning that I should have 180 degrees of area for the plant to grow into. The last few years, I planted in the corner, restricting the growth to 90 degrees. The goal now is to keep the dog away from the plants and the fruit. The dummy eats everything. -- Mark


Dear Mark,
Thank you very much for your update and good luck in July!