Tuesday, August 20, 2013


Still a mere baby...

This is more of a pre-natal image of a giant pumpkin

"Syrian Giant" tomato

"Chiriman" squash, a rare, Japanese variety from Michelle's garden

The last "Summer Dance" cucumber vines of 2013!
 
The Update: Salvaging a season
 
Good afternoon, Pumpkinistas!
 
 
Many growers have sent me e-mails this season. Invariably, there's always a friendly inquiry about how my pumpkin/pumpkins are doing.
 
 
Well, the short answer is okay, bordering on despair. Yes, as my grandmother Seki would say "Even monkeys fall from trees." (She would, of course, say it in Japanese, with a broad smile on her face while looking directly at me. This is one of the reasons that motivated me to study Japanese.) My initial plants didn't look like they were doing much, so I re-planted some back-ups in mid-June.
 
Pictured in the first few images of this posting is what I have so far this season. I am still waiting for a full pollination, and a giant pumpkin. The good news is that it will probably be growing all the way up to October 27th if fruit sets.
 
The bad news? Fruit may not set, and my season will end in a whimper.
 
Still, Michelle and I have grown many pounds of cucumbers and tomatoes the last few months, and that's a priceless experience.
 
So, to those growers still waiting for fruit to set: "Even monkeys fall from trees."