Thursday, July 20, 2006

(Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, FSA-OWI Collection, Dorothea Lange, photographer, LC-USF 34-021087-C)

The Waiting and Watching Continues

Good morning, Growers!

I've received reports from a number of patches around Southern California. The vines at The Los Angeles County Arboretum have one volleyball-size fruit on them. The La Mirada team's vine has also set fruit. I have also heard from 6-7 growers that their vines have female flowers. Bravo to all!

I measured my pumpkin this morning, and the dimensions were, 56", 56", 77"=189" total, the estimator says 152.5 pounds. I'll post pictures tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, the humidity in Huntington Beach has allowed what was a minor powdery mildew issue to evolve into a powdery mildew problem. I'll be spraying again this week-end.

Try to keep cool in the muggy weather!

Stuart