Tuesday, August 01, 2006

















The Powdery Mildew Blues...


Good morning, Growers!

As I mentioned, here are a couple of pictures of my pumpkin in Huntington Beach. You can see that growth is continuing, but the powdery mildew is taking its toll on the leaves. I am encouraged by the new growth visible past the pumpkin and now climbing on the fence. It is also just beginning to turn orange. It felt a little soft when I measured it which made me ponder: Can a pumpkin rot and grow at the same time? I hope not!

As of Sunday afternoon its dimensions were:

Side to side 67"
Stem to blossom end 68"
Circumference 98"

Total: 233"=266 lbs. estimated weight

I received an e-mail from Bonnie C. of Anaheim Hills over the week-end. She has a 100-pounder growing free and wild in her patch. I am hoping for some pictures. When I get them, you know where they'll be posted.

Take care!
Stuart