Thursday, April 30, 2009

May and June 2009 Full Moon Planting Dates!

Hello, Pumpkinistas!

We are quickly approaching that time of year. Yes, it's going to be seedling transplanting time very soon!

If you're a lunarly inclined grower, here are the May and June Full Moon Planting Dates:

Saturday, May 9, 2009, 4:03 a.m., The Budding Moon

Sunday, June 7, 2009, 6:13 p.m., The Strawberry Moon

I hope to be transplanting my seedling(s) on May 6th. Yes, that means I prepared my mound and growing area today. I wanted to take advantage of the cool 70 degree temperature in Huntington Beach, and the still reasonably moist soil conditions. I used 12 cubic feet of soil amendments, (4 cubic feet of Kellogg Garden Products Nitrohumus, 8 cubic feet of Kellogg Garden Products Amend, 10 pounds earthworm castings, a 5 pound box of Dr. Earth organic fertilizer for vegetables, and a bag of steer manure, after the dust had finally cleared. Fortunately, I was right about the soil still being moist. The Green Monster, an industrial-grade, 6.0' tall, 15 pound, trenching shovel, helped a lot in the clay. From the first bite of the shovel, to the mixing and amending of the soil, to wetting down the mound and closing the gate, it was 1 1/2 hours of hard labor. I even laid down a 3.0"-3.5" deep, 2-2.5' wide, 15' long, Amend path where the primary vine will eventually grow. I am so glad it's over! The Great Orange Hope Seeds of 2009 are soaking right now. One seed is from a daughter of the reigning world record, the 1,689 Jutras! It's all downhill from here. (But, I have a feeling tomorrow morning's going to hurt.)