Tuesday, June 16, 2009


Dispatch from Fortress Huntington Beach: Scott Green and Linda Hales!
"Hi Stuart,
Here are a couple pictures from my friend Scott Green. He is growing one of your pumpkin seedlings at his home in Huntington Beach. The vines look pretty good, and I am expecting great things from him. Alas, I wish I could say the same about my pumpkin. Two days after I planted, it was unearthed by one of the creatures of the night. Yesterday I planted another one, guarded by a fence and the pumpkin gods' hex.
I will keep you posted on our progress.
Linda"

Thank you very much Linda, for reporting, and Scott, for growing! You're absolutely right, the vine looks very good. The hardscape is particularly impressive. I hope it helps protect the plant from enemies. A moat, guard tower, and drawbridge are probably slated for the next construction phase.

Every spring, for the last 6-7 years, I've germinated many giant pumpkin seedlings. It's always fascinating, and the seedling germination season provides a certain rhythm to life. These seedlings are used in many ways, but mostly as door prizes for workshops and to give away to interested gardeners and clients. I seldom hear from the individuals that receive them. So, it's very gratifying to know that some of them have found new gardens and are thriving! This season, more than ever before, I am hearing about where they've ended up and how they are doing, or not, in the case of Linda's first seedling. (There's still time to get another seedling going!)

Thank you very much again, Linda, and the best of luck to you, Scott! The anticipation grows!