Wednesday, July 15, 2009


Mike McLain: Round Two!
Good morning, Pumpkinistas!
These images of July 12, 2009, and update are from Mike McLain, one of the managers at Kellogg Garden Products in Northern Nevada. After an early canine-related setback, he has the following to report:
"Dear Stuart,
I have included photos of my second go-round at planting pumpkins. The first one was discovered by my dogs and they love fish bone meal (which this 4'x4'x4' hole probably had 22# and they found it!! This time I got a temporary fence around it and it is doing wonderful.
Thanks for all your information on starting and growing giant pumpkins.
Mike McLain"
Persistence is the key to success! Very strong looking plants, sturdy stems, and very green leaves. I think that this just might be the beginning of a new Nevada state record!